When I was a child our next door neighbors made this amazing Uzbek Plov (Rice Pilaf). The smell of spices and flavors made even the pickiest eaters hungry. I can already smell it as I am writing!
Plov (pilaf) is a perfect mixture of protein, grains and vegetables – great for a healthy diet and easy way to get your child to eat several food groups in one serving. Enjoy this amazing recipe your guests and whole family will love!
- Meat: Organic Chicken Thighs (boneless and skinless) (2.5-3 lbs = 1-1.5 kg) or traditional lamb
- Grain: Organic Indian Basmati white rice (32 oz = 2 lbs = 905 g)
- 1 onion
- 10 large carrots (shredded)
- 2 garlic heads (used whole)
- Grapeseed oil or any other vegetable oil
- Spices: salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, 2-3 bay leaves, and 3 whole cloves
- Optional: scallions
- Cookware: Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven or you can try a regular pan or a crock pot
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2.5-3 hours
- Mince 1 onion and sauté it in a large amount of grapeseed oil (~8 oz) on high heat.
- Add 2.5 – 3 lbs of diced chicken thighs. Boil out all chicken broth (juice).
- Add shredded carrots. Boil out all liquid. ~ 25 minutes from the beginning of cooking.
- Add 1 liter (33 oz) of boiling water.
- Add spices to taste: salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, 2-3 bay leaves, and 3 whole cloves.
- Cut off the bottoms of the garlic heads and add whole garlic heads to pot.
- Cover with the lid and set heat to medium. Cook for ~10 minutes.
- Wash Indian Basmati white rice. Add it evenly on top of the mixture and cover with additional 1 liter (33 oz) of boiling water.
- Turn heat to high and boil with open lid for a total of 12-15 minutes. When the water starts to seep down into rice (~7-10 minutes), turn heat to medium and cover with a lid.
- After cooking rice for the above mentioned 15 minutes take the pot off the heat, cover rice with a porcelain plate, cover with the lid, wrap it into a towel and a thick blanket. Let it sit for 0.5-2 hours.
- Optional: mince scallions and add on top of Plov.
Printable PDF version is at http://momonlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Chicken-Plov.pdf